The Melrose BID commenced operations in April, 2014. In the last year we have accomplished a great deal. Following is a list of our top achievements to date:
- Street Cleaning: Initiated streetscape clean-up:
street sweeping, trash collection, installed decorative receptacles, alley clean-up, sidewalk pressure washing, graffiti and sticker removal, weed abatement. We removed more than 4+ tons of trash per month (per landfill records)!
- Sidewalk Repair: At Highland, Martel and 7558 Melrose.
- Newsletter: Published Quarterly “Melrose BID Newsletter.”
- Sister Streets Program: Established a fashion industry “Sister Streets” relationship with Harajuku shopping district in
- Website/Social Media: Developed and launched MelroseAveLA.com website and Social Media pages:
– Facebook (MelroseAve L.A.),
– Twitter (@MelroseAveLA) and
– Instagram (@MelroseAveLA)
- Advocacy: Conducted business advocacy with governmental permit agencies for Bugatta, Tatsu Ramen, The Village Idiot, and others.
- Trees: Trimmed all Melrose trees.
- Pole Banners: Installed on-going street pole banner program featuring key Melrose attributes: Arts, Eats, Finds, Ideas, Play, and Style.
- Parking: Initiated multi-pronged parking enhancement efforts designed to: 1) increase on-street parking; 2) plan for valet parking pilot program per West 3rd Street; 3) enhance new lot parking; 4) test rideshare incentives; 5) develop an employee parking plan; and 6) work with neighbors.
- Meetings: Reached out and conducted meetings with: property owners, business owners, Neighborhood Councils, schools, MelroseAction, MelroseVillage Blog, LAPD, City Council Office and others.
- Sidewalk Improvements: Advocated at City Hall for a business sensitive Sidewalk Repair Program and a prohibition of sidewalk vending as unfair competition.
- Events: Produced special events to energize business vitality: First Thursday FameFest events, Small Business Saturday, Sidewalk Sales and holiday promotional events.
- Homeless Issues: Contracted with PATH to provide homeless services.
- Fresh & Easy: Advocated for occupancy @ 7500 Melrose with property owner and council office.
- Art Program: Produced utility vault art installation and a series of murals at Melrose Elementary School.
- Grants: The Melrose BID has applied for a multi-million $ MTA grant for streetscape improvements. Applied for additional grants for other future improvements
- Initiated Melrose Future Vision Project to recommend specific improvements.